Re: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled?

Kim Enkovaara (kenkovaa@cc.hut.fi)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 14:50:15 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:

> Is there a website with information on issues like this ?
>
> Like : product XY sucks , because it has this and this bugs
> product XZ is broken , AA doesnt work when BB is true
> and so on ?

I haven't seen such site. And people/firms are quite often uninterested
about bugs and won't belive the bugs easily. I was one of the first ones
to identify the corruption bug in Quantum Bigfoot (the old series) disks
quite some time ago. It was quite difficult to convince people that it
actually existed altough they could test the behaviour themselfes.

The BF disks with A01.01 (was quite rare in circulation) or A01.02
software corrupted data when it was read slowly and sequentially (mp3
playing for example). After about 1 Mbyte of data the disk jumped to wrong
sector and continued reading from there. I and a friend of mine wrote
software to find the bug etc. but it was quite a job to find right people
from Quantum who told that the bug is fixed in A01.03 software and where
to get the software upgrade (A01.03XX and YY software contained other
errors with temperature calibration, A01.04 was fine :))