Re: linux on rs/6000

Craig B Agricola (agricolc@btv.ibm.com)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 13:01:59 -0400

Hi Randy,
I've looked into this over the past few years, because I have access to
a large number of older RS/6000's, and it would be great to run Linux on some.
Unfortunately, it appears that there has been some success with some of the
newer boxes (CHRP and other PCI based boxen), but the 520 is of the old school.
Linux has support for Microchannel (I had it running fairly reliably on an old
PS/2 here) but the hardware bringup is significantly different than what Linux
handles now. So, in short, as far as I know, the 520 would need considerable
help to get it to boot.

-Craig

--
 Craig B. Agricola    W: (802) 769-4636