Re: 2.1.111: IDE DMA disabled?

David Whysong (dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu)
Fri, 31 Jul 1998 12:13:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 31 Jul 1998, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:

> Is there a website with information on issues like this ?
>
> Like : product XY sucks , because it has this and this bugs
> product XZ is broken , AA doesnt work when BB is true
> and so on ?

Not that I'm aware of, but there certainly should be. The SCSI HOWTO has
lots of good info about controllers. The hardware compatability HOWTO
doesn't say very much about whether a particular piece of hardware is any
good or not.

I'm willing to try to build a HOWTO style document with whatever
information people can give me. The kind of information I'd like is:

1. Model of hardware (manufacturer, model #, firmware revision)
2. Is it broken by design, if so how? Be specific.
a) Is a fix available?
b) Can the problem be worked around in software?
3. Does the hardware or driver interact badly with another
subsystem, causing problems?
4. Is the manufacturer (un)cooperative about fixing the problem
and providing technical information to driver writers? Does the
manufacturer have a website, email address, or phone number
where people can go for more information?
5. Your name and email address

Reports on the following types of devices would be particularly useful:

1. Motherboards
2. Motherboard chipsets (TXPro, ...)
3. CPU's (K6 bug, f00f, FDIV, ...)
4. SCSI/IDE disk controllers
5. SCSI/IDE hard disk drives
6. CD-ROM/CD-R/CD-RW/DVD's
7. Video cards
8. Network cards
9. Modems (i.e., winmodems don't work...)

In addition to reports of bad hardware, it would be useful to know what
kinds of common hardware are particulary good to use with Linux (e.g.
Buslogic SCSI host adaptors). I'd really like to hear from the people who
write drivers, etc. in particular.

Dave

David Whysong dwhysong@physics.ucsb.edu
Astrophysics graduate student, University of California, Santa Barbara
PGP Key fingerprint = 9D 51 6E CE 5F 38 F0 E7 56 3C 01 45 CF 03 9F 4A
See http://www.physics.ucsb.edu/~dwhysong for my PGP public key.