Re: Starting with Linux: help

Mon, 23 Nov 1998 15:00:54 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 23 Nov 1998, Mario Vitale wrote:

> I have at my disposal a 486 PC with Windows 95 already installed.
>
> I would like to dedicate this machine completely to Linux.
>
> 1. Where can I start for download source code?

Major distributions of the basic stuff are on tsx-11.mit.edu and
sunsite.unc.edu. However, If you don't know Linux and have little
experience with Unix, you probably should get a Linux Distribution
on a CDROM from, er, perhaps Red Hat.

> 2. Can I have a Linux PC, with no Windows and no MS-DOS at all?

Yes.

> 3. Can I compile the source code of point (1) with
> Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0

No. But you don't need to. A Linux distribution comes with all the
tools necessary to compile the source-code ... even edit/change/etc...

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.128 on an i686 machine (400.59 BogoMips).