Re: Sound in 2.1.128 - why oops?

Scott Murray (scottm@interlog.com)
Wed, 25 Nov 1998 01:39:45 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Mike Sackton wrote:

> A few random points:
>
> I have an onboard OPL3-SAX working flawlessly (as far as I've seen)
> without using isapnptools, and on irq=5 (see conf.modules excerpt below).
> I turned off PnP OS in my BIOS, and it finds the card fine (or at least, I
> get to hear music :-)
>
> /etc/conf.modules:
> alias sound opl3sa2
> options opl3sa2 io=0x220 mss_io=0x530 irq=5 dma=0 dma2=1

[snip]

You are indeed correct. It's been so long since I worked on the
OPL3-SA2/3/x driver last that I forgot about the "hack" that allows this
to work. If one tries to use the ad1848 driver as a standalone MSS driver
by insmod'ing, then the limitation of the IRQ to one of 7, 9, 10, or 11 is
indeed there. However, if one uses the module option "type=1", the ad1848
driver doesn't check the IRQ at all. In fact, this was originally how I
managed to get sound out of my OPL3-SAx card, and how the opl3sa2 driver
gets the ad1848 module loaded (hw_config->card_subtype = 1, in this case).

>From checking the OPL3-SA3 specs, the YM7xx series of chips that the SA
family of audio controllers is based on are limited to IRQs 5, 7, 9, 10, or
11, which adds IRQ 5 to the range supported by the older AD1848/CS4232
chipsets. For some reason the Yamaha documentation recommends IRQ 10 as
the "best"...

> That's all I needed to do :-)
> Except it doesn't work if I make it non-modular.

Such is the fate of all PnP sound cards until 2.3 development, I guess.

Since this is going to the list, does anyone know exactly what the purpose
of the "Wide" control on the OPL3-SA3 and SAx cards is? I've got treble and
bass working, and it wouldn't be much more work to map "Wide" to an unused
mixer channel, but I'm unsure if it actually has any practical use.

Scott