Re: Canadian crypto export (was kerneli blowfish/twofish compromised?)

Colin Plumb (colin@nyx.net)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 03:19:08 -0700 (MST)

On 27-Nov-98 Gerhard Mack wrote:
> The regulations allow export of cryptography to Canada (I can even
> download netscape with strong encryption) but the regulations don't apply
> to Canadians if I recall.

And on 27 Nov 1998 Simon Kenyon replied:
> I think you'll find that the Canadian regulations are "exactly" the
> same as the US ones.

Actually, there's different in substantial ways. There are special rules
in Canada for re-export of goods of U.S. origin, however. Which mostly have to
do with the U.S.'s being pissed off at Cuba and a few other countries
it's lost wars to), however.

Other freely-distributable crypto is exportable without any hassle. In
fact, even U.S. origin freely distributable crypto is exportable in
many circumstances of interest to free software developers.
(This is due to differing interpretations of the U.S.-Canada treaty
which gives Canada it's exception to the U.S. crypto export laws, and
is a sore point with the U.S.)

--
	-Colin