Re: [patch] idle_task was wasting a lot of CPU

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Fri, 27 Nov 1998 10:18:27 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 27 Nov 1998, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> The first pending patch is a fix for a bug I discovered last week. The
> patch avoid the idle task to continue to run if an useful process is being
> wakenup. It make a _big_ difference. Compiling the kernel a `xload' show
> that the CPU is used at 100% all the time (5/10% kernel and the other is
> gcc). Without this patch xload is far from doing a straight line in the
> high part of the graph.

Hmm.. The idle tasks _should_ have a negative counter value all the time,
at least they used to. That's the proper fix, to make sure that the
counter value is never positive in the first place.

I wonder when that broke?

Linus