Re: Unix98 PTYs and Changes/devices.txt

Alex Buell (alex.buell@tahallah.demon.co.uk)
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 02:23:31 -0500 (EST)

On 28 Nov 1998, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> Slackware is using a royally obsolete configuration (pretty
> characteristic of that distribution, by the way.) These devices have
> been obsolete since 1995.

Yeah, :o( I guess the next time my machine goes down I'll install Redhat.

> This is because the X clients you have are using the BSD API, not the
> Unix98 one. BSD-API programs still use /dev/[pt]typ* etc.

I just figured that out. The docs didn't seem to be too clear on this
point, anyway, I've got it working properly now.

Now to figure out why blackbox coredumps with the new Xfree86 3.3.3 stuff.
Thanks for your help, though.

Cheers,
Alex

--
 /\_/\  Legalise cannabis now!
( o.o ) Grow some cannabis today!
 > ^ <  Peace, Love, Unity and Respect to all.

http://www.tahallah.demon.co.uk - *new* - rewritten for text browser users!

Linux tahallah 2.1.130 #64 SMP Thu Nov 26 22:58:37 EST 1998 Two Intel Pentium Pro 166MHz processors, 331.78 total bogomips, 48M RAM System library 2.0.104