Re: High UID support for Linux

Kai Henningsen (kaih@khms.westfalen.de)
28 Nov 1998 23:49:00 +0200

smurf@noris.de (Matthias Urlichs) wrote on 27.11.98 in <73ln72$gjc$1@work2.noris.de>:

> o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s (david parsons) writes:
> >
> > Get back to me when an a.out glibc that can fit on an install
> > floppy is written [2].
> >
> Just use a compressed RAM disk...
>
> > [2: libc 4.8.0 is 412 blocks long; if glibc is clocking in at
> > that size range, please let me know.]
>
> What's your block size??
>
> glibc 2.1 currently is 934 kBytes. That obviously includes a whole lot of
> cruft no sane install disk is ever going to need, but since the tools exist
> for using it regardless, nobody made the effort to strip it down. Yet.

Have a look at the Debian install disk (a.k.a. "rescue disk"). It's
created by the boot-floppies package (ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/
main/source/admin/boot-floppies*, I believe).

I think it mainly uses two tricks - one, a swiss-army-knife type of
program that has the *basic* functionality of all the common utilities
linked in one binary, and two, some script to strip down libc to those
routines actually needed.

At least that's how it usually worked in the past.

Oh, and of course it's all free software.

MfG Kai