[OFFTOPIC] Re: Y2k compliance

J. S. Connell (ankh@canuck.gen.nz)
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 16:13:28 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Alex Buell wrote:

> ObUselessPost: Did you know Ethiopia are still using the old calendar?
> They are 6-7 years behind the rest of the world. Right now it's 1991-1992
> there. Do the Time Warp! It would be distinctly nice to experience 1992
> all over again (fond memories then of a woman) ... ok I'll shut up and
> crawl back under my rock..

Ethopia actually has two calendars, neither of which are either Julian *or*
Gregorian. I believe one is religious, and the other is secular with a
Gregorian-type correction, but it's been a while since I've read about
'em, so I could be waay off.

> ObUselessLinuxPost: cal correctly displays the calendar for 1752! This
> worries me a bit here, because the calendars for different countries
> varies because of the adoption of the Gregor dating systems at different
> times. Rome adopted it straightaway in 1582, but Britain didn't get it
> until 1752. Does cal correctly prints the appropriate calendar depending
> on the country? I wonder what the calendar looks like for Eithopia?

cal AFAIK doesn't pay any attention to where you are, it assumes you're in
the US. ObUselessTrivia: it has done this since the very first version of
cal, according to Dennis Ritchie's homepage.

--
Jeffrey Sean Connell | Networking/Telecommunications Engineer, GXC
ankh@canuck.gen.nz   | PGP key at http://www.canuck.gen.nz/~ankh/pgpkey.html