Re: [LITTLE BIT OFFTOPIC] Re: crypto

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 10:17:11 +1300

On Mon, Dec 07, 1998 at 02:33:04PM +0100, Mikulas Patocka wrote:

> I think better idea how to go around u.s. laws is to specify
> something like Genral Encryption Interface. If you include
> encryption engine in linux, u.s. gov. doesn't you allow to export
> it. But if you include only calls to encryption engine and user has
> to download engine from some place in his country, it should be
> legal. Does anything like this already exist?

No -- making encryption hooks is also illegal. Many vendors have been
bitten by this, some have removed them -- others have made their APIs
very generic so they are not explictly crypt-hooks, but just hooks
into the mail-engine or whatever (depending on the application).

This is how the PGP plugins for M$ stuff work I beleive.

-cw