Re: Dumb question: Which is "better" SCSI or IDE disks?

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
7 Dec 1998 14:56:11 -0800

In article <linux.kernel.m0zmh8v-0007U1C@the-village.bc.nu>,
Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
>> I think currently spinning SCSI hard disks on the world, either in servers
>> or workstation, either in Unix/Linux or NT, is 50-pin old guys, no DPT disk
>
>And as my stats showed for real work even old 5400 rpm fast scsi on a
>now discontinued adapter (the BT946) beats current UDMA IDE for real world
>compiles. You "think". I've "measured"

I strongly suspect that measuring IDE vs SCSI isn't as simple as
that. I've compared similar drives for SCSI vs IDE, and they
measure identically (IBM DCAS 34330W vs IBM DCAA 34330; both the test
measurement tools and real-time things like rebuilding kernels come
out to almost exactly the same after I compensate for the speed
differences between the two processors)

OTOH, I've got an AMD K6-2/333 that's running with a pair of 13gb IDE
drives and about 400mb of core, and it runs like a slug for kernel
compiles. I'd be happy to blame this on the drives, except that the
kernel tree slurps up into core and never leaves. Could it be that
the processor is wasting a lot of time managing core when it could
instead be helping me hack VIA Apollo DMA into 2.0.28?

____
david parsons \bi/ Too many processors, all running 2.0.28
\/