Re: WTF is this in fs/super.c

Shaw Carruthers (shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk)
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 00:51:26 +0000 (GMT)

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Rik van Riel wrote:

> > "Self-destruct in 5 seconds. Have a nice
> > day...\n");
> > }
> >
> > What's up Doc?
>
> It means that there were still busy inodes left in a filesystem
> after the filesystem was umounted. This is something that should
> never happen. Instead the filesystem should refuse to umount if
> there are still files/inodes in use on it.
>
> This could either be a bug in the filesystem (what filesystem
> were you trying to umount?), some strange locking problem
> (Alan, what changed?) or random memory corruption...
>
> If you answer the above questions I'm pretty sure it'll
> ring a bell with somebody (who in turn will fix it).

Thanks for putting my mind at rest, I was worried!

It happens on shutdown -r in rc.6, after the 'Unmounting local
filesystems' message,this error messages flashes up just as the system
reboots.

Apart from scaring the pants off me, there is no harm and system restarts
fine with clean filesystems. It doesn't happen every time, but I have
seen it three times today.

The following are mounted prior to the shutdown:

/dev/hda4 on / type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda5 on /usr type ext2 (rw)
/dev/sda3 on /usr/local type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /DOS type vfat (rw,codepage=850,umask=000,quiet)
/dev/hda5 on /DOSE type vfat (rw,codepage=850,umask=000,quiet)
/dev/sda1 on /DOSD type vfat (rw,codepage=850,umask=000,quiet)
none on /proc type proc (rw)
//GILLIAN.LEINSTER/GILLC on /GILLC type smbfs (0)
//GILLIAN.LEINSTER/GILLD on /GILLD type smbfs (0)

--
Shaw Carruthers - shaw@shawc.demon.co.uk
London SW14 7JW UK