Re: How to submit a kernel patch ?

Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 20:43:57 +0300 (MSK)

8-Dec-98 09:24 you wrote:
> I sent a kernel patch to Linus last week

> I got not response from him telling me what was about with
> my patch, but I see that it hasn't been added to kernel source tree.

Usual story.

> Isn't that the good way to submit a patch.
> If not, can someone tell me what I should do ?
> (Patch has been tested by friends and is reliable)

You should send patch in linux-kernel list for test (or post link here if it's
too big). And remember:
-- cut --
I prefer to have a known bug that will eventually get fixed than an ugly
solution that will hide it forever.

Linus
-- cut --

So if your patch is not trivial (and you are not maintainer of particular part
of kernel) it SHOULD be posted here to discuss uglyness and not just to Linus
himself :-))