Re: Problem with 1G RAM

MOLNAR Ingo (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:16:12 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Jakub Jelinek wrote:

> I know some cases will be less efficient, if the expressions are too
> complicated, but such things I'm sure will be rare in the kernel.

yes it's much better _now_ that i've removed the PAGE_OFFSET dependency
from uaccess.h :) uaccess.h dependencies are all over the place. As i said
in previous mails, PAGE_OFFSET should be a runtime parameter on x86 too,
but otherwise btfixup on x86 is not as good as on Sparcs, not because it
doesnt work, but because it doesnt cover immediate instructions. (which
immediate instructions are more powerful on x86, and used widely in
optimizations) (unless compilers got smarter meanwhile)

> I'll try to code it (if I find some PC somewhere with enough space on disk)
> and let's talk on the resulting kernel differences, ok?

sure!

-- mingo