Re: Internationalizing Linux

Bradley M Keryan (keryan@andrew.cmu.edu)
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 16:31:05 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, Tim Smith wrote:

[...]
> If the error message has three parameters, I'd write
>
> printf( msg[code], p1, p2, p3, p2, p1, p2, p3 );
>
> and so on. I'm definitely not proud of this gross hack.

Umm, right. Why not just add support for positional parameters to
the kernel vsprintf()? Then all you have to do is change the format
string, which can specify the appropriate parameters; "%4$s" would refer
to the 4th string, for instance.

An example of this is in Ulrich Drepper's paper on "Internationalization
in the GNU Project" from 1996:

http://i44www.info.uni-karlsruhe.de/~drepper/conf96/paper-7.html#ss7.1

The reason he states that it can't be used in GNU packages
(portability--not all OSes support it) doesn't seem to apply to the Linux
kernel, as it provides its own vsprintf (upon which printk is based).

Brad