Re: Strange umount problem under Linux 2.1.131.

Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Tue, 8 Dec 1998 20:43:51 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 8 Dec 1998, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Dec 1998, H.J. Lu wrote:
>
> > > I'm getting consistent "can't unmount '/': device busy" messages when I try to
> > > reboot: 'shutdown -r 0' (for kernel upgrades, of course!), since 2.1.130.
> > >

> > It only happens to me under 2.1.131. 2.1.130 is ok.
>
> I see the '/ busy' messages when rebooting after ldconfig is run. This
> appeared some time ago and is quite annoying.

Damn. It's an ld.so bug. Workaround: say telinit u after ldconfig. It has
nothing with the kernel (hint: if init keeps an open file that was
unlinked by some other process umount will be unhappy. ld.so used to leave
such an easter egg to init. ldconfig unlinked it). Proper solution:
{up|down}grade glibc to the version that doesn't have this bug.
Al

--
There are no "civil aviation for dummies" books out there and most of
you would probably be scared and spend a lot of your time looking up