Re: Strange umount problem under Linux 2.1.131.

Stephen Thomas (stephen.thomas@isltd.insignia.com)
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 09:31:05 +0000

Mark Lord wrote:

> > > I'm getting consistent "can't unmount '/': device busy" messages when I try to
> > > reboot: 'shutdown -r 0' (for kernel upgrades, of course!), since 2.1.130.
> > >

> > It only happens to me under 2.1.131. 2.1.130 is ok.
>
> I get "can't unmount '/': device busy" messages also,
> with both 2.1.130 and 2.1.131. But only about every 5th/6th shutdown.

I'm seeing the same thing. I have /, /usr, /usr/local on different
partitions. Sometimes on shutdown it says / is busy, other times it
complains about /usr and /usr/local instead.

What is curious is that the subsequent reboot never complains
that these partitions have been not been cleanly unmounted.

Keep well,

Stephen Thomas