Re: umount deleted device

Clifford Wolf (clifford@clifford.at)
Fri, 11 Dec 1998 12:54:02 +0100 (MET)

On Wed, 9 Dec 1998, Clifford Wolf wrote:

> When I mount a filesystem and delete the device file when it is mounted, I
> get a kernel fault as soon as I try to umount the device.
>
> Happens with devfs - don't know if it happens to with a real /dev ..

I've found the bug. It had nothing to do with devfs: It was a bug in the
"Remount active filesystems" bug by Matthew Wilcox. The bug has been
fixed.

Richard: Sorry for thinking about devfs first. devfs is great stuff!

Matthew: Thank's for your fast reaction to my mails. Your patch is
even great stuff!

greetings,

- Clifford

PS: Both patches - "devfs" and "remount active filesystems" - are
listed on the 'Linux Kernel Patch Archive' at
<http://linux-patches.rock-prohects.com>.

Clifford Wolf (CEO and CTO)
The ROCK Projects Workgoup IRC: IRCnet / clifford
http://www.rock-projects.com/ http://www.clifford.at/
e-mail: c.wolf@rock-projects.com email: god@clifford.at