Re: kernel 2.1.131 and second processor

ralf@uni-koblenz.de
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 07:16:50 +0100

On Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 06:40:49PM +0000, Alan Cox wrote:

> > ... as just far too many of them are :(
> >
> > BIOSes are *so* buggy, and that's besides the hideously crappy API.
>
> If you think the PC bios is buggy you should play with ARC firmware on
> MIPS or older versions of openprom. At best the mips arc firmware could be
> said to have been "slightly influenced in design by the documentation"

It's worse than that. I haven't been able to get Linux/MIPS running on any
ARC platform without implementing special workarounds for each of them. The
two applying specifications, the ARC Specification 1.0 and the Microsoft
Portable Bootloader Specification are being violated massivly by every single
implementation. The chapter about Alpha and other processors were marked
``to be written'' so I wonders what horrors were hidden in that part. I
haven't even started to complain about comceptual problems of the ARC
specification.

The two best implementation are by my experience those of SNI and SGI,
probably because both used their code to do more complex things than just

Ralf