Re: Linux threads -- as seen in NT Magazine (Alan, Linus, please read)

Scott Doty (scott@sonic.net)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 20:18:08 -0800

On Wed, Dec 09, 1998 at 08:37:14AM -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
> Mr. Russinovich maintains that the threading support in the current
> kernel/libraries is still not very well developed.

Since Russinovich is arguing finer points of the Linux kernel
thread implementation, clearly, he admits the existence
of Linux kernel threads.

This is in direct contradiction to his statement: "Whereas Windows NT and
all leading commercial operating systems (OSs) implement kernel-mode
threads, Linux does not."

But it gets worse.

In that same December issue of _Windows NT Magazine_, on page 35, an
article appears: "Linux: From Dark Horse to Legitimate Contender?"
(This is listed in the TOC as "NT News Analysis," so it escaped
me before.) The author, Craig Barth, writes:

According to intellectual property lawyers, the Linux licensing
agreement binds any developers who produce software using components
of the Linux OS (e.g., libraries, runtimes) to release the source
code for their additions (i.e., applications) to the public domain. . .

In the end, lack of support or questions about open source security
will not cause Linux to fail in its bid to unseat NT. Rather, the
very nature of the freeware model will kill off this contender.

So I will admit that Alan was right -- this is not a case of
negligence, but a pattern of outright deception. (Who are these
"intellectual propery lawyers"? When does NT expect Oracle to release
their source? And who is making this "bid to unseat NT" except its
users, many who subscribe to that magazine?)

Seeing that NT magazine is spewing outrageous FUD about Linux, it
seems to me that this is no longer a matter for polite discussion,
but rather, a matter for violent rhetoric.

I'll take mine to comp.os.linux.advocacy -- hopefully that will calm
down my letter to NT Magazine enough that it might be printed. I
encourage others to do the same. (While it may appear the magazine is
a lost cause, there's the possibility that this is a case of poor
editorial review, and that journalistic integrity at the magazine
may prevail.)

The address: letters@winntmag.com.

Further, I have heard no reports of Dr. Russinovich making any efforts
to divorce himself from this FUD. If you hear otherwise, I would
appreciate a note. Thanks,

-Scott