Re: [A BIT OFF TOPIC] Very slow posting to linux-kernel

Ed Hall (edhall@terminus.ayched.com)
Sat, 12 Dec 1998 21:13:24 -0800

> On Sat, Dec 12, 1998 at 12:45:55AM +0200, Liran Zvibel wrote:
> >> I have noticed, that almost every time I post something to the list it
> >> shows up aproximately 24 hours later. Any reply's to my posts then
> >> arrive aproximately 24 hours after that.
> > I don't have the explanation, but would like to say that it happens to me
> > too.
> You are not by any chance subscribed to the _digest_ version of the list? :)

Well, I'm not, but it is a bit disconcerting to see a new kernel announced
on freshmeat.net before I read about it here. It's a weekend and things
don't seem quite as bad (it only took 8 hours for your message to reach
me), but I've seen delays double that between when the message arrives at
Rutgers and when it reaches my mailbox. I'm a relatively new subscriber,
so I'm probably near the end of the list there and at FuNET, which is
the re-mailer that actually forwards to my system. Just growing pains,
I suspect.

More on-topic, I've been building and pounding on each kernel for the past
month on my Alpha (LX164 w/128MB) and have noticed a definite improvement
in virtual memory performance since 2.1.131 (I've tried ac3, ac6, and ac9).
No complaints yet... rock-solid, at least in terms of the few days between
kernel builds.

-Ed