Re: PATCH: Raw device IO for 2.1.131

Rene Janssen (rjanssen@ns.oke.nl)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 13:52:42 +0100

At 11:16 AM 12/14/98 +0100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

>However, we need direct i/o. It's just not possible to do things with
>such a throughtput as required by uncompressed digital video without
>direct DMA from/to user buffers.

I have another example where direct i/o is used : Dialogic DM3 boards.
DM3 stands for direct mediastream architecture. The idea is to transfer
voxfiles directly from the PCI-board SRAM to the users file without
copying. Dialogic has a DM3 development kit for Solaris , so Solaris
probably has this kind of feature already. Does anybody know how they did it?
It would be great to have a DM3 driver for their Iplink Voip/Quadspan
boards, but thats another story..

Cheers,

René