Re: [2.1.131-ac10] Oops and more lockups

Jochen Heuer (jogi@planetzork.ping.de)
Mon, 14 Dec 1998 12:11:00 +0100

On Mon, Dec 14, 1998 at 01:55:48AM +0100, MOLNAR Ingo wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Jochen Heuer wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > today I got the following oops with 2.1.131-ac10 SMP:
> >
> > Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 3b297367
>
> hm, 0x3b297367 is ASCII, and looks like 4 chars from the kernel source :)
> Were you compiling the kernel when this happened? This looks like one of
> those pgcc/gcc2.8 miscompilation things. (or DMA related memory scribble)

If you mean if I was _untaring_ the kernel, then yes.

> > Process tar (pid: 755, process nr: 74, stackpage=c0cc5000)
>
> hm, in case this is GCC 2.7.2.3, were you untarring the kernel source on a
> slightly overclocked box maybe?

The system is not overclocked but after I had sent the message I
remembered that I had changed the bios settings a little bit. Reversing
those changes seems to help. But I had several oops with plain 2.1.131
which were in find_buffer too, so I did not suspect my hardware first
(Those oops happened even with the slow memory timings).

Regards,

Jogi

--

Well, yeah ... I suppose there's no point in getting greedy, is there?

<< Calvin & Hobbes >>