Re: autofs vs. Sun automount -- new fs proposal

Derrick J Brashear (shadow@DEMENTIA.ORG)
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:31:32 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 15 Dec 1998, Horst von Brand wrote:

> Derrick J Brashear <shadow@DEMENTIA.ORG> said:
>
> [...]
>
> > Someone did. It never went anywhere, but I still have a copy of the patch
> > around, never updated beyond 2.0 kernels. A shame, because this is a
> > piece of sorely-missed functionality.
>
> It can't be really "sorely missed" if nobody has stepped in to keep it up
> to date... Sure, symlinks to "automount" the home directory on the server
> are ugly, but it's not _that_ bad either.

Sure it can. The patch still works in 2.0.36 (but the way I made it so is
ugly), and I'm not upgrading to 2.1 in the meantime:-) With the ..
semantic broken (by the symlink) that's useless. Plus, I have the need to
loopback mount various pieces of my filesystem into my anonymous ftp area.
Creating a symlink not only isn't useful, it doesn't work.

-D