Re: Internal Modems

Edward S. Marshall (emarshal@logic.net)
Sun, 24 Jan 1999 12:36:15 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Adam Goldstein wrote:
> I take it that WinModems simply won't work under Linux? Is there any way
> around this?

This should be in the FAQ. This should -really- be in the FAQ. Richard?
(You're listed as a contact for the LKML FAQ...)

The problem is the lack of specifications for this hardware. Most
companies producing so-called "WinModems" refuse to provide specifications
which would allow non-Microsoft operating systems to use them.

The basic issue is that they don't work like a traditional modem; they
don't have a DSP, and make the CPU do all the work. Hence, you can't talk
to them like a traditional modem, and you -need- to run the modem driver
as a realtime task, or you'll have serious data loss issues under any kind
of load. They're simply a poor design.

> I recently sold a nice P2/300 to someone with a lucent 56k D/F/V pci
> modem in it... which under windows loads as an lt winmodem... I need to
> get this guy up& running, and I wasn't aware of a winmodem compatability
> issue.. Don't wanna have him return it cause of a silly modem ;)

Um, did the "Win" in "WinModem" not point something out to you? ;-)

> Any Thoughts?

More seriously, contact Lucent and see if they'll provide you with
programming specifications for the card. If they will, without an NDA,
tell linux-kernel about it; with as much as this question gets asked,
you'd probably have numerous offers to write a driver.

Alternatively, pay $40 and get him supported hardware (that's what we just
paid for an OEM V.90 Supra).

<DIV MODE=RANT>
Anyone who buys hardware for Linux without checking any relavent hardware
howto's (of which there are plenty; RedHat maintains one, there's a
standalone "HARDWARE-HOWTO", etc) and doesn't even make a cursory effort
to see if the hardware will be supported has bought their own problem if
they can't develop a driver for it.
</DIV>

--
Edward S. Marshall <emarshal@logic.net>       [ What goes up, must come down. ]
http://www.logic.net/~emarshal/               [ Ask any system administrator. ]

Linux labyrinth 2.2.0-final #1 Sat Jan 23 01:13:17 CST 1999 i586 unknown 12:20pm up 1 day, 1:56, 3 users, load average: 0.02, 0.01, 0.00