Re: /usr/include/linux vs. /usr/src/linux/include/linux

Mark-Andre Hopf (hopf@informatik.uni-rostock.de)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 15:56:17 +0100 (MET)

ulrich.windl@rz.uni-regensburg.de (Ulrich Windl) wrote:

> I have located a potential problem spot in 2.2.0pre9: My Linux
> distribution (SuSE 6.0, well it's not mine, but the one I use) has a
> symbolic link from /usr/include/linux to /usr/src/linux/include/linux.
>
> In these times when I have several kernel trees around, I realized
> that I successfully built a 2.2.0pre9 kernel with the include tree
> from 2.2.0pre7. Only after I had removed the older tree I realized
> that my symbolic links point to nil.

That's no problem because the kernels build doesn't use the headers in
`/usr/include/linux'. And it doesn't even affect the compilation of other
programs because the critical stuff is hidden behind `#ifdef __KERNEL__'
and most programs won't use these anyway.
Sometimes I even use 2.0.33 header files to compile some old and bad coded
software for 2.1.x.

Bye,
Mark