Re: MM deadlock [was: Re: arca-vm-8...]

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 10:27:30 -0800 (PST)

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Regarding the former, is there any chance you'd consider adding a kswapd
> wakeup when low_memory gets set in get_free_pages()? Being able to
> respond to a burst in network traffic without locking up is not exactly
> a minor issue.

I did that, only to revert it later, because I didn't think it would make
any difference - processes that get to that point will try to free up
memory on their own anyway.

Note that it wouldn't ever trigger for GFP_ATOMIC allocations, so I
suspect you haven't actually _tried_ it? For a machine that gets burst of
network traffic with nothing else going on, adding it should essentially
amount to a no-op.

I'll look at your other patch.

Linus