Re: Netscape buggy, kernel OK - some test results

Chris Ricker (kaboom@gatech.edu)
Mon, 25 Jan 1999 19:55:15 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Adam Heath wrote:

> On Sat, 23 Jan 1999, Stanislav Meduna wrote:
>
> > > I'll try to polish my hack a bit - seems like
> > > it can help more people.
> >
> > Those who have problem with freezing netscape,
> > please try the following code. If it helps, we
> > are sure that the kernel is not the problem.
> >
> > It works for me with 2.2.0-final and Netscape 4.5,
> > I have not tested it very carefully and I don't
> > guarantee it works anywhere else.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Stano
>
> I am responsible for the netscape packages in debian. I have one package that
> is depended on by all versions of netscape in debian. I can include this
> wrapper, upload the small change, notify everyone when they upgrade about the
> change, and wait for the responses.

I'd recommend against that. The patch was nice because it shows that the
problem is netscape and not the kernel (not that there was ever doubt about
that? ;-), but it has major side effects. It, for example, does not behave
well at all if you're using 4.5 and store your files on a roaming server.

later,
chris

--
Chris Ricker                                            kaboom@gatech.edu