Re: problems in pread(2).

Tigran Aivazian (tigran@sco.COM)
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 12:41:15 +0000 (GMT)

Matti,

I agree with you, however I think Itai did highlight an interesting point
there. I confess that I missed that first EOVERFLOW case (whilst Itai
clearly missed the last one - so we are even :) ).

More to the point, the first case of EOVERFLOW:

The file is a regular file, nbyte is greater than 0, the starting
position is before the end-of-file and the starting position is
greater than or equal to the offset maximum established in the open
file description associated with fildes.

I am starting to think that this "offset maximum" is really RLIMIT_FSIZE
(see getrlimit(2)) because there is a provision for the starting position
to be before the end of file and at the same time greater than or equal to
the "offset maximum".

But, yes, what I said originally about pread() not setting errno=EOVERFLOW
when it should, remains correct.

Regards,
------
Tigran A. Aivazian | http://www.sco.com
Escalations Research Group | tel: +44-(0)1923-813796
Santa Cruz Operation Ltd | http://www.aivazian.demon.co.uk