Re: [patch] Fixed the race that was oopsing Linux-2.2.0

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 10:09:07 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

> As first the memcpy in dst (removed from pre9 to 2.2.0 final) is needed
> because while get_stat and get_stats are running the process could gone
> away. If we don't want to memcpy we need the tasklist_lock locked (but
> the memcpy looks more obviously right to me, at least at this clock
> time...).

Don't bother sending me patches that do the old task "grab" operation.
They won't be applied. By applying that patch, you just open yourself up
to overrunning your stack, which is much worse than any normal oops.

Nobody bothered to ask me why that crap was removed from 2.2.0, and
apparently nobody even thought about it.

Linus