Re: Bloat thread...

Steve Dodd (dirk@loth.demon.co.uk)
Sun, 31 Jan 1999 22:20:53 +0000

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 31, 1999 at 12:22:36PM -0800, Larry McVoy wrote:

> Probably what would be a much better use of this bandwidth would be for
> someone to volunteer idle cycles on their Whizzbang 1000 Intel box as
> a compile server for the latest & greatest. It sure seems like this

[the remarks below are not directed at Larry, obviously, I just followed
up his post!]

Presumably all you need to provide are skeleton kernels with root partition
support (normally ide+ext2, but I guess there are other combinations, esp.
for different architectures), and then everything else as modules. But then,
this is what RedHat, Slackware, ... do anyway, otherwise you'd never be
able to install them. So what's the problem?

Sure, you can't build a wonderfully optimized kernel using megagcc 6.5.27,
but you have to draw the line somewhere. If you want to do this, you might
have to scrounge another disk. Certainly over here, disk space is less than
EUR 0.04/Mb...

Failing all else, 2.0 is perfectly stable anyway, and I imagine Alan and
folks will periodically back-port serious bug fixes for quite a while,
anyway.

Remember, with commercial operating systems, you don't even get the chance
to recompile the kernel (sure, on SCO you can relink it..) - so don't knock
that which you get for free, unless you're prepared to help fix it.

"I can't compile the kernel on my single floppy Amiga, why is the kernel
so bloated?" :)

S.

--
If breastfeeding a pig is sickening to you, what the hell are you
doing on usenet? -- Aimee, on rec.music.tori-amos