Re: schedule() "spaghetti" in 2.3.2 ..

Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Mon, 24 May 1999 12:47:11 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 24 May 1999, Matti Aarnio wrote:

> Same engineers also developed a new constant time scheduler which
> they intent to submit to 2.3. (The change is "too large" for it to
> be accepted into 2.2.)
>
> With "Wake One" and the scheduler changes, Iprobe does show that the
> time spent in small number of scheduler addresses does down dramatically.
> (From 30% to 0.1% of realtime, or some such...)

wake-one alone solves the problem, doesnt it? And we have wake-one in
2.3.3. I'm curious how that patch looks like nevertheless. (i'm just
rather convinced that it cannot be done constant-time without giving up
crucial scheduling features, but i'd be happy to be proved otherwise.
There _are_ ways to make it constant, it just sacrifices things like
proper SMP scheduling.)

-- mingo