Re: hd size > bios support?

Miquel van Smoorenburg (miquels@cistron.nl)
26 May 1999 12:09:06 +0200

In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.4.10.9905231535510.31222-100000@ps.cus.umist.ac.uk>,
Riley Williams <rhw@MemAlpha.CX> wrote:
>Hi there.
>
> > Q> /dev/hda5 219 379 1293200 83 Linux native
> > Q> /dev/hda6 380 623 1959898 83 Linux native
>
> > Note that the reason for splitting /dev/hda5 and /dev/hda6 into
> > two partitions was to avoid problems connected with the 2G limit
>
> > Which 2 GB limit??
>
>On 32-bit architectures such as ix86 (the one in question), Linux has
>problems with files larger than 2G in size, and there have also been
>claims that some of the utilities used with Linux can and will mangle
>partitions over 2G in size on 32-bit architectures.

Absolute nonsense. I have partitions >2GB on _all_ Linux machines here.
And have had so for years. There are no known problems.

That being said, there has been a bug in early versions of libc6 and beta
versions of e2fsck / e2mkfs concerning llseek(). But that has nothing
to do with "Linux mangling partitions over 2GB in size".

Mike.

--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?