Re: access to proc filesystem from chrooted process

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Fri, 28 May 1999 18:49:09 +0200

On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 05:59:42PM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:
> >> My analysis states that without the /etc/fstab file, no further
> >> filesystems can be mounted, so even if the mount command is present,
> >> the user will not be able to mount any further copies of the proc
> >> filesystem (or any other filesystem) inside the chroot trap, and thus
> >> that such a non-root user has no means to access anything in the proc
> >> filesystem.
>
> > Why not mount proc before the chroot? You could do this at
> > system bootup, or just before the chroot, and it would seem to
> > solve your problems...
>
> *I* do *NOT* want /proc available within the chroot - that's the whole
> point of my question!!!
>
> The claim made was that a hacker who hacks into a chroot trap can
> mount proc and use it to get out of the chroot trap, and I can't see
> how such can be done, hence the question...

The mount(2) system call has no knowledge of /etc/fstab. The mount(8)
program may manipulate it, but that is neither here nor there.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of