Re: the new zip geometry is biting me

Marco Mariani (m.mariani@imola.nettuno.it)
Sun, 30 May 1999 10:31:04 +0000

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 02:56:45AM +0100, Riley Williams wrote:

> > I'm unable to use the new zips (geometry 96/64/32) together with
> > the old ones (32/64/96). Even the size is different. Even the
> > partition table is incompatible. Is there a patch somewhere?
>
> I'm presuming you're referring to Zip disks?

No, to Zip 100 ATAPI drives. The new ones are reported differently by
the same driver - on kernel 2.2.9, I can't partition a disk in drive A
and see the partitions in drive B.

> I'm not sure what your problem is, but I have no problem reading disks
> formatted on either my friend Mike's Zip-100 (uses the PPA driver) on
> my Zip-250 (uses the IMM driver), and he has no problem reading 100M
> disks formatted on my drive on his, so this isn't a kernel problem.

I use ppa and imm too, I guess it relates only to IDE drives.

--
"If you're going to kill someone there isn't much reason to get all worked
 up about it and angry.  Any discussions beforehand are a waste of time.

- Jim Allchin, Microsoft corp. -