Re: Linux is a MicroKernal?

Dominik Kubla (dominik.kubla@uni-mainz.de)
Sun, 30 May 1999 12:26:20 +0200

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 04:57:56PM -0700, Jason Stone wrote:
> I have a question, though maybe this isn't the right place to ask it: how
> does MkLinux work? My understanding is that Linux is run as a single
> server on top of a Mach kernel. Is this true? And if so, is it possible
> to run it on any platform that is supported by Mach? There's an HP
> PA-Risc Linux port in progress; I think that Mach already supports
> PA-Risc - if so, why couldn't you just run MkLinux on your HP 9000's
> instead of doing a full-on port?

The Linux/HPPA port started from OSF' MkLinux/HPPA and it is done for
the same reason the Linux/PowerMac port was done despite the existance
of MkLinux/PowerMac: Only a few systems supported and the general problems
with the underlying Mach kernel (or so i was told).

Yours,
Dominik Kubla

--
The text above represents my personal opinion and does not represent the
official position of my employer on the issue(s) discussed.  Any official