Re: 2.2.9 international patch des.c question/problem

Alexander S A Kjeldaas (Alexander.Kjeldaas@fast.no)
Sun, 30 May 1999 10:27:03 +0200

On Sat, May 29, 1999 at 08:44:42PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Hi.
>
> In the linux/crypto/des.c from the 2.2.9 international patch, there is
> a section of code in des_set_key() that always rejects my keys. I was hoping
> someone could explain the purpose of this bit of code, and maybe why it
> doesnt seem to like any of my keys.

des is a 56-bit cipher with 8 bits of parity. This means that the
user-land software needs to make sure that the 64-bit key given has
the correct parity. Unfortunately, losetup doesn't do this. I've
received a patch that fixes this, but in the mean time, you could try
any of the other ciphers - they should work as they don't have the
quirks that DES has.

astor

--
 Alexander Kjeldaas, Fast Search & Transfer, Trondheim, Norway