Re: Linux is a MicroKernal?

Matthew Wilcox (Matthew.Wilcox@genedata.com)
Sun, 30 May 1999 17:11:24 +0200

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 04:57:56PM -0700, Jason Stone wrote:
> I have a question, though maybe this isn't the right place to ask it: how
> does MkLinux work? My understanding is that Linux is run as a single
> server on top of a Mach kernel. Is this true? And if so, is it possible
> to run it on any platform that is supported by Mach? There's an HP
> PA-Risc Linux port in progress; I think that Mach already supports
> PA-Risc - if so, why couldn't you just run MkLinux on your HP 9000's
> instead of doing a full-on port?

Some people already do that. On PowerPC for example, this option is also
available. The trouble is that Mach is old and has no-one saying `no' to
new features, grotty code or taking out obsolete code. As a result, it's
now extremely nasty and no-one in their right mind wants to hack on it.

Note that the Mach binary is about 15% larger than native Linux (and
then you need to run the Linux single-server on top of it). And we
haven't even started mentioning little issues like SMP, supported devices
and speed.

<plug> anyone interested in helping out on the PA-RISC port should start
at http://www.thepuffingroup.com/parisc/ </plug>

To be fair to microkernels though, Mach is not a good poster child.
It was one of the very early efforts and the state of the art has
improved since then. L4 or Fiasco are much more interesting examples,
see http://os.inf.tu-dresden.de/fiasco/ for details. They've even
implemented a Linux server.

--
Matthew Wilcox <willy@bofh.ai>
"Windows and MacOS are products, contrived by engineers in the service of