Re: LM78 style functionality for DFI P5BV3+ board ?

Bradley M Keryan (keryan@andrew.cmu.edu)
Sun, 30 May 1999 20:42:40 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 May 1999, Harald Koenig wrote:

> does anyone know how to access termperature/fan/power sensor
> on a DFI P5BV3+ Rev. CE0+ main board using VIA Apollo 598MVP AGP chipset ?
> which sensor chip is used on this board? where can I get docs for it ?

Have you tried the lm_sensors package at http://www.netroedge.com/~lm78/ ?
It works on my Tyan Trinity AT S1590S which has the same I2C interface
(same VIA chipset) and a GL518 monitoring chip. It also does some neat
(but not necessarily useful) things like letting you read SDRAM SPD
EEPROMs over SMBus.

This should probably go into the 2.3.x tree sometime, as it appears to
support a lot of different hardware; it looks like right now the devel
kernel only has enough I2C/SMBus stuff to control some Video4Linux
devices. But I suppose the lm_sensors developers will speak up when they
think it's ready :)

> using lm78.2.2.8.patch.gz from Erik Hendriks I get
>
> LM78: Hardware monitor driver
> LM78: Erik Hendriks <hendriks@cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov>
> LM78: $Id: lm78.c,v 1.4 1998/08/17 15:09:39 hendriks Exp $
> LM78: Detection failed at 0x290
>
> and with procmbmon from Marwin Droid I get
>
> # cat /proc/lm78
> Temperature 1 : 255
> Core volt : 4.07
> +3.3 volt : 4.07
> +5 volt : 6.85
> +12 volt : 15.50
> -12 volt : -14.15
> -5 volt : -6.11
>
> which doesn't look ok either.
>

> Harald
> --
> All SCSI disks will from now on ___ _____
> be required to send an email notice 0--,| /OOOOOOO\
> 24 hours prior to complete hardware failure! <_/ / /OOOOOOOOOOO\
> \ \/OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO\
> \ OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO|//
> Harald Koenig, \/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
> Inst.f.Theoret.Astrophysik // / \\ \