Re: pre-2.3.4..

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Mon, 31 May 1999 16:39:15 +1000

Piete Brooks writes:
> I have taken
> linux-2.3.3.tar.bz2
> patch-2.3.3.bz2
> devfs v105
> raid0145 relative to 2.3.4-1 from mikeg@weiden.de
> and with a bit of HACKing I have a working kernel.
> USB modules won't build, and /dev/loop* doesn't seem to work.
> [ Also, devfs complains a bit at boot time :-( ] Any clues?
[...]
> [ It would be really nice if 2.3.4 could have all these rolled in ! ]
> Partition check:
> devfs: devfs_register(): existing non-device/file entry
> devfs: devfs_register(): existing non-device/file entry
> devfs: devfs_register(): could not create entry: "md/"
> devfs: devfs_register(): could not create entry: "md/"
> /dev/ide/hd/c0b0t0u0: p1 p2 < p5 p6 > p3
> /dev/ide/hd/c0b1t1u0: [PTBL] [1757/255/63] p1 p2 < p5 > p3

I did a quick check of the code and I don't see how these messages
could be happening. I've released devfs-patch-v106 which makes
<devfs_register> a bit more verbose in an aid to tracking this down.

I've tried plain 2.3.4-pre2 + devfs-patch-v106 on a dual PII with
striped devices, and I don't see those messages.

I wouldn't be surprised if the problem is that you're applying the
devfs and RAID patches together. Last I heard, they are incompatible.
Jason Lavoie is the current devfs+RAID maintainer. He munges the devfs
patch so that it works for Linus-kernel+RAID-patch, and passes it on
to me so I can put it on my ftp site and announce it.

Come to think of it, I haven't heard from Jason yet.
Jason: where's the first patch?

Regards,

Richard....