Re: Kernel tarball size

Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Mon, 31 May 1999 11:21:00 +0200 (MEST)

Riley Williams wrote:
> Hi Stefan.
>
> > What would be nice (from the tar ball point of view) would be to
> > modularize the kernel sources so that they can be downloaded
> > separetly (I know I misspelled it), but I can easily imagine the
> > horror trying to keep that up to date and working properly. Not
> > very likely, but would be nice.
>
> In fact, it isn't at all hard to do. I wrote a bash script that does
> just that some time back, and submitted it for consideration, and was
> told in response not to waste my time as Linus does the distributions
> the way they're currently done because he's used to it and feels that
> what suits him automatically suits everybody else.

The short answer is "feel free to do what you like, but Linus will
keep on distributing full tarballs".

Linus doesn't mind if you have a mirror of ftp.kernel.org, and then
split it and put that on your own FTP site. If more people start use
that than use the original ftp.kernel.org, then that might be an
important argument to Linus to start running your script.

Roger.

------ Microsoft SELLS you Windows, Linux GIVES you the whole house ------