Re: more lilo problems with RH6.0

Zach Brown (zab@zabbo.net)
Mon, 31 May 1999 12:59:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 29 May 1999, Dave Helton wrote:

> The only thing I can get from this, as Alan said, is that the new
> version (21) of lilo has a lower threshold on the kernel size be it
> z-compressed or bz'd. This leads to the final question... why?

the lilo shipped in 6.0 has a smaller size limit for non bzImages than
previous lilos. bzimages are loaded into 'high' memory, but non bzimages
are loaded into the usual 640k range. they're allowed to step on less
memory to make room for certain BIOSes that store data in the ebda
(extended bios data area).

see the kernel's setup.S, lilo's lilo.h, and the 6.0 lilo srpm's
large-edba patch for more info.

> And why is the 2.2.5-15 kernel supplied with RH6 weighing in at a hefty
> 617K work with lilo and 2.3.2 at 471K doesn't?!?!?!

use bzImage..

-- zach

007 373 5963