Re: /dev/random and /dev/psaux: too much entropy assumed?

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Mon, 31 May 1999 15:03:04 -0400 (EDT)

From: Florian Weimer <fw@cygnus.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Date: 30 May 1999 19:43:47 +0200

After subtracting the timer interrupts, we get an average of over
nine bits added on each /dev/psaux interrupt to the /dev/random pool.
I don't think that there is that much entropy involved to justify this
high value.

The entropy estimation is based on the jitter in the timestamp clock for
the interrupts. The dx,dy values from the mouse are folded into the
entropy pool along with the timestamp information, but it's only the
first, second, and third order derivitives of the timestamp which are
used in estimating the entropy.

What can influence the time that the interrupt comes in? A lot of
things, including when/if the kernel has interrupts disabled, to how
quickly or slowly the mouse is being moved around.

- Ted