Re: XFS and journalling filesystems

Makoto Kato (m_kato@ga2.so-net.ne.jp)
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 06:42:41 +0900 (JST)

Hi

At Sun, 30 May 1999 12:02:51 -0700 (PDT),
Jeremy Fitzhardinge <jeremy@goop.org> wrote ...

> On 28-May-99 Adam Lock wrote:
> > I was just browsing the BeOS site and that too claims to have a 64-bit
> > journalling filesystem. Perhaps that would be better suited for home systems
> > if
> > only there were more details available for it...
>
> More has been published about bfs than almost any other commercial filesystem.
> There's a book ("Practial File System Design with the Be file system") which
> goes into great detail about it. There's also one read-only implementation of

In this book, there is the interesting contents about performance of XFS,
BFS, NTFS and ext2. If you are interesting in it, I recommend you
reading this book.

However, I guess that speed of BFS depends on BeOS. On VFS layer, it
won't be highest performance.

> It has definitely been designed as a single-user desktop filesystem. There's a
> number of tradeoffs which have been made against servers and towards
> single-user use, which makes sense given the nature of the OS.

But, BFS supports unix-like ACL.