Re: SGI's XFS DONATED AS OPEN SOURCE!!!!!!!!!

Dan Koren (dkoren@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 01:45:16 -0700

Pavel Machek wrote:

> BTW I would say hooray at the time someone makes it working with
> Linux. Having filesystem is nice, but integrating XFS into linux
> may be well more work than writing journaling filesystem from
> scratch.

File system companies like Transarc or Veritas could not exist if
such were the case. File systems can be ported between different
OS's, even though this isn't trivial. Developing a transactional
file system from scratch is still a lot more work than porting an
existing one.

> (Or maybe SGI is going to do work for us?)

SGI is porting XFS to Linux.

> There are some non-trivial issues buffer cache.

Indeed :)

Dan Koren Dan.Koren@sgi.com
Engineering Manager, File Systems phone: (USA) 650-933-3678
Silicon Graphics, Inc. pager: (USA) 888-769-0874
1600 Amphiteatre Pkwy. M/S 08U-500 or dkoren_p@pager.sgi.com
Mountain View, CA 94043-1351 fax: (USA) 650-933-3542