Re: SGI's XFS DONATED AS OPEN SOURCE!!!!!!!!!

Dan Koren (dkoren@cthulhu.engr.sgi.com)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 02:59:05 -0700

"Stephen C. Tweedie" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 27 May 1999 12:35:24 -0500 (CDT), Jim Mostek <mostek@sgi.com>
> said:
>
> > SGI is doing some page cache/buffer cache internally to support
> > XFS. As far as I know, this will be part of the Open Source'ing
> > (I haven't heard differently).
>
> Any work done on the core of the kernel will have to be released
> under GPL or not at all --- the GPL doesn't give you the choice.
>
> --Stephen

All the development that SGI is doing on the Linux kernel will be
released under GPL, and that includes page cache and buffer cache
changes we might be making for XFS. Note however that XFS itself
is not part of the kernel but rather a loadable module. The terms
of the XFS license are still being reviewed by our legal staff.

thx,

Dan Koren Dan.Koren@sgi.com
Engineering Manager, File Systems phone: (USA) 650-933-3678
Silicon Graphics, Inc. pager: (USA) 888-769-0874
1600 Amphiteatre Pkwy. M/S 08U-500 or dkoren_p@pager.sgi.com
Mountain View, CA 94043-1351 fax: (USA) 650-933-3542