Re: XFS and journalling filesystems

Florian Weimer (weimerfn@cip.mathematik.uni-stuttgart.de)
Tue, 1 Jun 1999 14:37:31 +0200

On Tue 1999-06-01 (02:28), David S. Miller wrote:

> I'm afraid your concerns about kernel code size eating into buffer
> cache or user memory are slightly out of date. These days it seems
> damn near impossible to buy anything with less than 32 MB memory!
>
> There are third world countries where Linux is used heavily where a
> 486 with 16MB of ram is a "big computer". These concerns are by no
> means out of date at all.

Of course you are right. But I guess you don't need a journalling FS on
such machines, because the hard disks will be small, too, so fsck time
isn't such a big issue.

Of course, if ext2fs is dropped from the standard kernel distribution in
favour of XFS, there might be some problem on lowest-end machines---but,
given the installation base of ext2fs, I don't think that will ever
happen.