Re: Q: How to submit a new driver?

Peter Schneider-Kamp (Peter.Schneider-Kamp@post.rwth-aachen.de)
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 18:55:01 +0200

Rolf Offermanns schrieb:

> I have modified the radio-aimslab driver to support my
> "TerraTec Active Radio ISA Standalone" radio card.
>
> Unfortunately i have no idea how to get it in the menu or xconfig
> procedure.

Actually this is the easiest part. Normally you will want to put a
tristate 'Terratec Active Radio ISA Stdalone' CONFIG_TTACTRADIO_ISA
or something similar into the Config.in file of the corresponding
driver directory. If you want your driver markes as development
you may have to do a
if [ "$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL" = "y" ]; then
tristate 'Terratec Active Radio ISA Stdalone' CONFIG_TTACTRADIO_ISA
fi
Then you have to add a
ifeq ($(CONFIG_TTACTRADIO_ISA),m)
M_OBJS += ttactradio.o
endif
to the Makefile in the same directory. To get the help on your driver
into the config menus add something like
Terratec Active Radio ISA Standalone
CONFIG_TTACTRADIO_ISA
This is currently only useful as a module. It is a very
nice driver and you can really listen to foo&bar on 0815kHz.
to the Documentation/Configure.help

> What is the normal procedure for getting the code reviewed and then
> maybe move it in the official kernel?

Sorry on that one.

> This is my first try in writing a kernel module and i am pretty sure
> that my code is worse. However it works somehow! :)

It's amazing, but somehow it always works out ;-]

tschuess
Peter

--
If only commons sense were more common.