Re: Out of memory kernel death

pedietz@west.com
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 19:06:06 -0000

<pine.lnx.3.91.970507215227.6076c-10000-@vvtp.tn.tudelft.nl> wrote:
Original Article: http://www.egroups.com/group/linux-kernel/?start=11130

> On Wed, 7 May 1997, Theodore Y. Ts'o wrote:
>
> > looks through the processes and kills off the largest one.
> > This should be doable in Linux too...
> >
> > The problem is that the largest process is often the X server. Often
> > this will indeed free a lot of memory, but it's not necessarily the best
> > thing to do...
>
> This is getting uglier & uglier, but let's be pragmatic and make it kill
> the largest process NOT called "X".
>
> bert hubert.

I am in the school that all program's running should have their own uid other than root.

I propose that the X server run as user 'inittab' or 'rc.d'.
With this proposal one could make up a rule that says "kill the largest process not owned by root and not owned by inittab."

Reason being:
Processes installed in the inittab are generally more stable than those being run manually by a user...